Tuesday, June 26, 2007

First attempt

Oh boy, what did I get myself into???? Kool -Aid Dying.. not as easy as I suspected, or maybe it's just me? I also didn't like the colors so well.... too fake or something.
The Merino felts very quickly, not quite sure why. Anyone have some answers?



The Merino didn't actually felt but the fiber gained back it's crimp. I am going to use this for wet felting, It comes out a bit to fat for me to use in needle felting. I am used to the shorter fibers such as Shetland and Correidale.
The dark purple specimen in the middle is actually the correidale sliver that I just got from Paradise. I think I like

the results from this wool better. Next time I don't want to buy the sliver however, but

rather the roving, which is wider.

The correidale dyed up very nicely using gel food colorings that I found in my local cake decorating supply store, In America these would be Wilton Gel food coloring. I don't think these are the most economical choice however. I am paying for 1 teaspoon about $3 (yikes) I would say if I really knew what I was doing I could get many colors from them.



That's life overseas. America has so much to offer for the fiber artist and relatively cheap. It is very expensive to do any sort of dying here. I cant find half of the types of dye here that I would normally find in the States.

3 comments:

Annica said...

Your wool looks wonderful! I think you did a great job!
Dyeing on the internet is a bit of an enigma to me. The dyes and the brands I'm used to are not the same in other countries. Makes it very difficult...

Miriam said...

I wonder if there's a market for these sort of products in Israel?

Miriam said...

Is that kool aid, as in the drink?