Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It REALLY is an obsession!

What is it about fiber? What is it? It's taking over my life. I feel constantly in the pursuit of more fiber and supplies for spinning and dyeing of fiber and now I need more bobbins and the extended Lazy Kate for my S10 wheel... oh it just keeps growing. Plus I still don't have a skein winder or even a niddy noddy (... yep that's what happens when you live in a place where there are only a handful of spinners in the whole country and two places to buy wool. Everything needs to be shipped in from outside the country.) I also thought since come spring I hope to acquire some fleeces after the shearing, of course I'm going to need a drum carder! OMG!

So my latest stash acquisition was from Spunky Eclectic. She (Amy) has a new site. Oh yeah! I am a fan. Her prices are reasonable and her rovings are better than any that I have bought elsewhere. (Not that I have bought from so many places mind you :) I just bought a pound of white BFL and 8 oz. of Oatmeal BFL (Amazing!) I have never spun such fiber! It is so lofty and soft, I DO love. I also bought a pound of her grey wool at 9 bucks a pound it was totally worth it, plus very soft and a pleasure to spin.
Here's the grey wool available at Spunky:
The only disappointment was in the Romney, I didn't realize how course the wool is compared to the others. It's got a nice sheen but not much loft. I don't know what I would make with it. Perhaps I should buy some mohair or Alpaca (which is definitely on my list, at the top in fact) and blend it with the Romney. I guess the length of the staple of the Romney would add strength to a loftier fiber. Or maybe I should blend it with my merino or Columbia -Dorset blend that I bought at Paradise fibers. I thought that stuff was such a pain to spin... very hard to draft and hard to keep consistent. But again I am considered a beginner for all intense and purposes!
Stay tuned to some on the bobbin pictures and I am now spinning the grey and the oatmeal in separate singles to be plied as double and hoping it comes out as a tweed.
PS I could use advice on keeping track of amounts on each bobbin so that you have equal yardage for plying.

5 comments:

barb michelen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Annica said...

From one fiber junkie to another:-)

I've given you a Make My Day Award. I hope you don't mind.

Wishing you a wonderful New Year!

Eva said...

I wish you a Happy New Year!
Eva

CresceNet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ArtChic said...

Thanks Annica and Eva for the New Year wishes, I hope you both have a very prosperous new year and with time for doing the things you love to do!