Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Please dont boot me off I am still an artist....


Just a very lazy blogger! For goodness sake I am still here just been busy with my garden! So maybe I'll tell you all about that. I have been trying to grow my own organic veggies in containers because my back yard was tiled in to make a patio and there wasn't enough space left to grow much. Although I do have some very nice and giving fruit trees and a few others, I do not have a patch for a garden. I started out with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, hot peppers, purslane, and red and orange bell peppers. The cucumbers became diseased and I cut them down, and the cherry tomatoes also have some disease but they are still producing, slow they may be. All of the peppers did quite well, I guess it's due to the heat. So we have been enjoying those, not enough to do any canning though.
Right now I am excited for my pomegranates and citron! We always get tons more than we can possibly eat, problem is that I don't use pesticide so if they arent picked early enough we get many infested fruits and they make a big mess in the yard.

The Citron or Etrog in Hebrew is a fruit that is basically grown for it's peel. It's also used, most importantly among Jews as a ritual object for the upcoming holiday of Sukkot. There is a certain blessing that is said during the morning prayers along with other species of plants, this blessing of the Lulav and Etrog has been done for thousands of years and it's source is from the Torah. So we are very happy to have a tree in our yard, even though it hasnt been a big producer and we have yet to get a kosher etrog from our own tree. Whatever I do manage to pick I have made etrog liqueur and the peel can be preserved to make candy or jelly. This year I want to juice it and drink it.

No comments: